Chocolate Coconut Tube Cake
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, water and vanilla. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour 3 cups into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a small bowl, combine the coconut, milk and extract. Drop by spoonfuls onto batter. Cover with remaining batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Frost with chocolate frosting.
1 piece: 492 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 13, 2017
The cake itself is good..the filling may not be to some people's taste. If you look at other recipes, the coconut has 2 of the egg whites beaten stiffly with sugar, then a small amount of flour and the coconut folded it. This makes a lovely filling that isnt heavy and wont sink. Try it both ways!!!
Dec 23, 2014
BEWARE; When I took cake out of oven, the filling had fallen to the base of the pan ; since I made this for Christmas--and I am the Grnad'mere!!- It is now going to have to be called "pudding cake"!
I am totally disappointed in this recipe...I wouldn't make it again..Maybe we'll get a laugh out of it at our annual family gathering!! (In the meantime I am making brownies just in case0
Sep 8, 2013
When I cut the cake, the coconut filling separated from the cake & I ended up with a lot of crumbs on the platter. It was tasty, but I probably wouldn't make it again.
Feb 26, 2013
I was not happy with this cake at all, nor was anyone it was served to. Maybe i did something wrong, normalling I am a very good baker and love to bake. I just didn't like it.
Mar 6, 2011
I haven't made it before but I have had it at a friend's house.
Feb 20, 2011
I was disappointed, it looks better than it was. It was very dry and the filling was not great either. Sorry I didn't like it :(
Feb 1, 2011
what do you do with the remainding condensed milk if you don't have an immediate use for it? can it be frozen?
Jul 29, 2010
I made this cake some time ago- it's missing something- I think it needs more coconut filling- my coconut filling sunk too. I am going to give it another try because I love coconut with chocolate
Sep 29, 2009
Excellent taste to this cake! Next time I am going to put only 1 1/2 cups of prepared cake mix in pan instead of the 3 cups, and then the coconut and the remaining mix. The coconut had sunk to the bottom of the cake by following the directions. I will definitely make this cake again!