VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, oats and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and coconut.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. square cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Freeze option: Transfer wrapped disks to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator until soft enough to roll. Bake as directed. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Coconut Oaties in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2016