Chocolate Coconut Cake
Field editor Joanie Ward of Brownsville, Indiana says her sweet treat satisfies both chocolate and coconut lovers.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix with pudding (regular size)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Grease two 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Line bottom and sides of one pan with waxed paper; spray with cooking spray. Divide batter among pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Cool.
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar and milk to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir in marshmallows until smooth. Add coconut. Spread over second cake.
- Using waxed paper, remove second cake from pan and carefully invert on top of filling; carefully peel off waxed paper. Cool completely.
- In another saucepan, bring the sugar, milk and butter to a boil. Remove from heat; add chips and stir until smooth. Add nuts. Pour over cake; cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight.