Chocolate Cinnamon Squares
I thank my mom for stirring my interest in cooking and baking. Of all her treasured recipe cards I have, this is an all-time favorite.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and yolk. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over dough. Combine the chocolate chips, nuts, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 138 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Cinnamon Squares in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.