Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls with Icing
These are a change from ordinary cinnamon rolls, and they're perfect for coffee breaks. —Rita Lempka, Sterling, NE
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- QUICK WHITE ICING:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add shortening, salt, 1/4 cup sugar, egg, cocoa and 1 cup flour; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in remaining flour and blend with a spoon until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Stir dough down and turn onto a well-floured surface (dough will be soft). Roll out into a 12x9-in. rectangle. Carefully spread with butter.
- Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over butter. Roll up gently, beginning at a wide end. Cut into 12 pieces and place in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for icing, stir all ingredients together in a small bowl until mixture is desired spreading consistency. Frost rolls while still warm.
Nutrition Facts1 cinnamon roll: 214 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 214mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.