Chocolate Cinnamon Mud Balls Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 squares (1-1/2 ounces) semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2-1/2 cups (15 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup ground nuts, optional
- 1. Butter the sides of a heavy saucepan; add the first five ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove the heat. Cool, without stirring, until mixture reaches 110°. Transfer to a mixing bowl; add cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Beat until light-colored and stiff enough to knead, about 2 minutes. Lightly grease hands; knead mixture in bowl for 2 minutes or until smooth. Roll into 1-in. balls; cover and freeze for 20 minutes. Melt chips and shortening; dip the balls, shaking off excess. Roll in nuts if desired. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets to harden. Yield: 3 dozen.
2 each: 231 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 14mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Cinnamon Mud Balls
"I love this idea, but I think something might have gone wrong for me in the first step. My mud balls came out grainy and sort of metallic tasting. It was either the cinnamon or the sugar not dissolving properly. Either way I'm not going to risk making these again. My version really was not good."