Chocolate Cinnamon Mud Balls
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + freezing Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2-1/2 cups (15 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup ground nuts, optional
- Butter the sides of a heavy saucepan; add the first five ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat. Cool, without stirring, until mixture reaches 110°.
- Transfer to a large bowl; add the cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Beat until light-colored and stiff enough to knead, about 2 minutes. Knead mixture in bowl for 2 minutes or until smooth. Roll into 1-in. balls; cover and freeze for 20 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Roll in nuts if desired. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 231 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 14mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 5, 2013
I love this idea, but I think something might have gone wrong for me in the first step. My mud balls came out grainy and sort of metallic tasting. It was either the cinnamon or the sugar not dissolving properly. Either way I'm not going to risk making these again. My version really was not good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.