Chocolate Cinnamon Buns
Chocolate lovers will rejoice when you put out a platter of these fresh-from-the-oven rolls dripping with icing. Eat them by themselves for a real sweet treat or serve them as a finale to your breakfast feast.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside. In a bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, cocoa, shortening, salt and egg. Add yeast mixture to form a soft dough. Knead five to ten times. place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down. Turn onto a floured surface and roll out to a 15x9-in. rectangle. Spread butter over dough. Mix cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over butter. Roll up jelly-roll style. Slice into 1-in. rolls. Place in a greased 11x7-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 176 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Cinnamon Buns in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.