Chocolate Cinnamon Buns
Chocolate lovers will rejoice when you put out a platter of these fresh-from-the-oven rolls dripping with icing. Eat them by themselves for a real sweet treat or serve them as a finale to your breakfast feast.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside. In a bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, cocoa, shortening, salt and egg. Add yeast mixture to form a soft dough. Knead five to ten times. place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down. Turn onto a floured surface and roll out to a 15x9-in. rectangle. Spread butter over dough. Mix cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over butter. Roll up jelly-roll style. Slice into 1-in. rolls. Place in a greased 11x7-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls. Serve immediately.