Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-3/4 cups toffee bits, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg; mix well. Stir in almonds and 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake 10 minutes. Pour milk over crust; sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups toffee bits, reserved topping and remaining chocolate chips. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining toffee bits. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 246 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars
"giuffrida, you and nancy are both reading the recipe wrong. It says to put 1-1/2 cups of chocolate chips inside and then it says to set aside 1-1/2 cups of the mixture for topping."
"These bars were so moist and sweet! I love them, keep going back for more! I didnt have any almonds on hand so i used walnuts and pecans and i also baked them for a few minutes less than called for. They turned out perfect :)"
"This recipe came off the top of a can of sweetened condensed milk. At least, that's where I got the recipe several years ago. They are delicious - and I've never made them with anything other than walnuts. Oh, and to make them even better, use chopped up Symphony with toffee candy bars. I use that instead of chocolate chips. Fantastic!"
"The recipe is NOT wrong. They are telling you to set aside 1 1/2 cups of the crust mixture( flour, brown sugar, chips, etc) for putting on top, not to set aside 1/2 cups of chips. I used pecans and it was fabulous."
"The recipe is not wrong...take it step by step."
"Ok as far as the whole 1- 1/2 cup issue. It says.... Mix almonds (which is 1 cup) and chocolate chips (which is 2 cups) together. Then you take half of the mixture(which is 1 1/2 cups) and put it inside mix. Set remaining mixture aside(which is 1 1/2 cups) for the topping. Which would total the 3 cups from the almonds and chocolate chips. This is a very yummy dessert! cant get enough! :)"
"Oh it was splendid. It made me happy."
"The recipe is wrong, how can you have 1 1/2 cups of choc chips inside and 1 1/2 cups on top when you only need 2 cups. Please fix recipe. I an cooking it now it smells good. I only put 1/2 cup of choc chips on the top."