Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and 1/2 cup butter; stir into dry ingredients until a thick batter forms. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Cut biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon fruit onto bottom halves. Top with whipped cream if desired; replace biscuit tops. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 443 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 24, 2018
These were yummy! I did tweak it a bit to suit our tastes. I cut the recipe in half for just my husband and I. Therefore I should have done 2 tbsp (1/8C) of sugar for the strawberries, but I instead started with 1 tbsp, and didn't even put the entire tbsp on. Our strawberries were pretty ripe and didn't need a lot of sugar. I'm glad I didn't put all of it on. I used a combination of dark chocolate and milk chocolate chips. Next time I'm going to increase the chocolate chips just a bit, it seemed like it could use just a tad more. I loved the dark chocolate in it, next time I might do all dark chocolate. After brushing the shortcakes with butter, I didn't put the entire amount of sugar on top of them either. It should have been 1/2 tbsp, but I think I did only a little over a half of that. Again, I'm glad I didn't. I had the shortcakes in my oven for about 18 minutes, but it probably could have used maybe 1 more minute, as the inside was just barely "done". Like others said, it was like a light crumbly shortbread cookie. I'm definitely going to make this recipe again.
Nov 20, 2014
These shortcakes are absolutely delicious! My favorite shortcake recipe!
Jan 31, 2013
I make this often when company comes over. They look at it, and are so impressed-it looks like I slaved away in the kitchen. (Not about to tell them how easy it was...) Taste is awesome.
Sep 10, 2012
Outstanding! Tastes like a flufy shortbread cookie. Melts in your mouth!
May 26, 2011
We thought this was really good and very rich, but I used coconut cream instead of the heavy whipping cream as I am lactose intolerant. I also didn't see the need to brush the tops with the Tablespoon of butter as they were very greasy without it and the sugar stuck just fine.
Jun 17, 2010
this recipe only made six for me (using their 1/3 cup measurement for each biscuit) but that was plenty. packed lots of flavor!
Apr 3, 2010
Jun 5, 2009
These shortcakes are melt-in-your-mouth FABULOUS, and fast and easy too. Delicious combination, will be a regular in our house from now on!