Baking a fun treat is a must when my four grandchildren come for “Grandma Camp.” This year I’ll recruit the oldest, Henry, to help pipe the cake batter. —Linda Schend, Kenosha, Wisconsin
Featured In: 19 Red Velvet Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package red velvet cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, oil and extract; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Cut a 1/2-in. hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag. Transfer dough to bag. Pipe 1-1/2x1-in. hearts onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spacing hearts 1 in. apart.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread filling on bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Red Velvet Whoopie Pies in Taste of Home February/March 2015, p78
Reviews forChocolate Chip Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2017
"Yummy! Best if chilled before eating."