- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups dried fruit bits
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Vanilla frosting and yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack
- Use a knife to cut into squares or cookie cutters to cut into shapes. If desired, tint frosting and frost bars. Store in a covered container or wrap individually. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate Chip Granola Bars
"I have had requests from my daughters teachers to make these again for the class. The kids love them and when they are gone they ask to make them again!"
"I used this recipe with a group of kids and they all loved them. My son has a relatively severe diary allergy, so I did 1/2 recipe with his non-dairy flax seed butter alternative and no chocolate chips. They still taste great, but they are not chewy at all like the other regular butter version. I guess now I know why the grocery stores don't have any dairy-free soft and chewy granola bars available. The dairy must make them soft! The frosting is totally not needed. I gave the kids the choice and most frosted one bar and preferred the non-frosted ones. Our kids don't need extra sugar when it's unnecessary!"