Chocolate Chip Date Cake
Pam Jennings of Prairie City, Iowa, shares her recipe for Chocolate Chip Date Cake. "This bar-like cake travels well because there's no messy frosting to melt," assures Pam. "It also stays nice ans moist—if there's any left over.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, bring water and dates to a boil. Remove from heat; cool. In a bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa and salt; add to creamed mixture. Add dates and cooking liquid; mix well. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and walnuts. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 149 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.