Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake
The recipe goes back to the early '50s, when my husband and his brother farmed together. We wives had to have lunches ready most any time of day, and the cake was easy to make and have on hand...with no frosting to fuss with!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg, room temperature, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, butter and salt until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup. Stir baking soda, cinnamon and cloves into the remaining crumb mixture. Add egg and buttermilk; mix well. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture; top with chocolate chips and nuts. Bake at 350° until cake tests done, about 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 249 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Crumb Cake in Reminisce Extra August 1993