The recipe goes back to the early '50s, when my husband and his brother farmed together. We wives had to have lunches ready most any time of day, and the cake was easy to make and have on hand...with no frosting to fuss with!
Recommended: Our Best-Ever Chocolate Cakes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, butter and salt until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup. Stir baking soda, cinnamon and cloves into the remaining crumb mixture. Add egg and buttermilk; mix well. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture; top with chocolate chips and nuts. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Crumb Cake in Reminisce Extra August 1993, p49
Reviews forChocolate Chip Crumb Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 16, 2013
"7 pts per slice for Weight Watchers with recipe as is. Very Good!"