Chocolate Chip-Cranberry Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk yogurt and egg yolk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in cranberries and chocolate chips.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into 12 wedges. Place wedges on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled scones in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each scone on high for 20-30 seconds or until heated through.
1 scone: 189 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 28, 2018
I think these are great! They are light, rather than dense. I substituted a half cup of almond flour for the white flour and added nuts.
Aug 1, 2015
Delicious! I brushed the top with the egg white I didn't use, and sprinkled the top with 1T of sugar. The texture is terrific! Not dry and crumbly at all.
Sep 11, 2014
These turned out great the first time. I will definitely make them again!