Chocolate Chip Coffee Ring
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Add sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 8-cup fluted tube pan.
- For topping, combine the flour, sugar and cocoa; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans and chocolate chips. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 539 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 454mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 20, 2018
I found this to be very dry. Taste was good though.
Feb 8, 2014
Actually, I'd prepared this recipe from quite some time back! It is great and I'd used it again 2/8/14! I had the ingredients for it, so I figured that I would prepare this recipe! I DID use 1/8 cup all-purpose flour to mix the chocolate chips into the batter! I also omitted the pecans in the topping and used 1/4 cup caramel bits in place of the pecans! I greased and floured an 8" fluted tube pan WELL and I baked LESS time than what it called for-I used a 45 minute baking time so that the cake would NOT be overly browned! I did allow the cake to cool 20 minutes in the pan and ran a knife around the edges to loosen the cake! I'd used a fancy type of tube pan and the cake looked quite pretty! Use a pastry brush to brush excess flour off of the finished cake! I'd had to do that! I used 1 tsp. salt instead of the 1/2 tsp. salt called for in this recipe! I used a pastry blender to combine topping ingredients! The cake will be shared with my Chapel group! Thank you, Laura Hertel, for this recipe! It IS a keeper! It is very versatile, too! Using square cake pans or loaf pans are an excellent alternative to baking this cake! delowenstein
Nov 3, 2011
Delicious!! I make this often and everyone loves it. Great for breakfast or as a snack with your tea in the evening, freezes wonderfully! Thanks for sharing, it is a keeper!
Mar 29, 2011
My husband loves this recipe. He likes the topping on this bread, and on other quick breads.
Jan 29, 2010
Very moist, plenty of chocolate flavor. I've also baked this recipe in 2 loaf pans for 45-50 min. and they freeze very nicely!