Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake Recipe
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
- 1-1/2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- CARAMEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE:
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into a well-greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 2. For topping, combine the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and vanilla. Return to a boil; remove from the heat and cool slightly. Add sugar; beat on high with a portable mixer for 30 seconds or until thickened. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over top. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 317 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake
"one of best cakes I have ever made ... I took it to some volunteers that I work with and everyone raved about the cake and ask me to bring it again next time..."
"This cake is so delicious. I've made it approx. 10 times and EVERYONE loves it and asks for the recipe. My Bunco group requests it everytime I host. Just make sure your icing is warm enough and it will drizzle just right."
"I've tried the recipe for the topping several times and cannot get it to "drizzle" consistency...any suggestions?"