Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- CARAMEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a well-greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For topping, combine the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and vanilla. Return to a boil; remove from the heat and cool slightly. Add confectioners' sugar; beat on high with a portable mixer for 30 seconds or until thickened. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts.
- In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over top.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 317 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 28, 2018
Nov 10, 2017
lovely cake- my daughter requested a cake with carmel for her birthday. This was a great choice. Good texture, moist. I used 3 whole eggs (because I was too lazy to seperate 4 eggs).
Aug 18, 2012
one of best cakes I have ever made ... I took it to some volunteers that I work with and everyone raved about the cake and ask me to bring it again next time...
Aug 20, 2011
A wonderful recipe, I used plain lo-fat yogurt instead, since that is what I had, and it turned out exc. I also used a Pillsbury German chocolate cake mix instead of white & it was delish! try it you won't go wrong. I can't wait to do it again.
Dec 10, 2010
This cake is so delicious. I've made it approx. 10 times and EVERYONE loves it and asks for the recipe. My Bunco group requests it everytime I host. Just make sure your icing is warm enough and it will drizzle just right.
Jun 26, 2009
I've tried the recipe for the topping several times and cannot get it to "drizzle" consistency...any suggestions?