Chocolate Chip Caramel Bars
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 16 caramels
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until set.
- In a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, melt caramels with the milk. Stir in the remaining flour until smooth. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and chocolate chips. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use eggs.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 282 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 16, 2016
I followed the recipe, except I added chopped pecans on top. It baked perfectly, and was delicious. It is a keeper.
Jul 20, 2013
These have a great taste but I had problems with the bottom crust. It never seemed to set even after baking for 15 minutes. I figured it would firm up after the total baking time, so I continued with the recipe. It never did. Even after completely cooling, the bottom was so moist that it seemed undercooked. A friend who is a chef liked them and said it was just the caramel sinking into the crust, but I thought it was too "wet". If I make these again, I might try making 1 1/2 times the dough.
Mar 29, 2011
These are sooo good. Everyone from all ages that has tried these loves them. I have made them twice. The second time I doubled the recipe.
Mar 16, 2011
The recipe calls for 16 caramels, they're listed in the ingredients.
Mar 15, 2011
does this recipe use caramels? If so, how much?
Dec 13, 2010
Dangerously delicious! The only thing I will do next time is melt the caramels in a heat proof measuring cup, it should be easier to pour the caramel sauce where you want it. I made a bit of a mess the first time.
Feb 4, 2010
I would make this recipe again but in the directions it says to melt the caramels with milk and that stuff but in the ingredients it doesn't have caramels.