Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; stir in buttermilk just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips;
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over scones. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 229 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 28, 2013
Jun 17, 2011
These scones turned out wonderfully. I love the taste of the buttermilk mixed with the chocolate chips and sweet glaze.
May 12, 2011
My daughter-in-law got me hooked on scones and I tried these and my family loves them. My husband requests these scones. Great texture. For an extra treat I added a chocolate glaze.