Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; stir in buttermilk just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips;
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over scones. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 229 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 28, 2013
Jun 17, 2011
These scones turned out wonderfully. I love the taste of the buttermilk mixed with the chocolate chips and sweet glaze.
May 12, 2011
My daughter-in-law got me hooked on scones and I tried these and my family loves them. My husband requests these scones. Great texture. For an extra treat I added a chocolate glaze.