Chocolate Chip Bread
In Thonotosassa, Florida, Misti Konsavage found the makings for this quick bread in her own backyard. "Since our orange tree was teeming with fruit. I was inspired to try this recipe," says the mother of three young children. "I wrapped up lots of loaves as home-baked gifts at Christmas one year."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 3 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, orange juice, sugar, egg and orange zest. Stir in baking mix just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 139 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Orange Chocolate Chip Bread in Light & Tasty August/September 2001