- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4-1/2 cups bran flakes cereal
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the peanut butter and oil until combine. Beat in the eggs and buttermilk, Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cereal and chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 14-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate Chip Bran Muffins
"Other reviewers said the muffins were too dry and not sweet enough/too bland. Sure enough, when I made the batter, they were much drier than other muffins I've made. So I added another 1/2 cup of milk, 1/3 cup of honey (to add moisture and sweetness), 2 tsp vanilla, and 1 cup of raisins. I soaked the raisins in hot water before adding them in to prevent the raisins from further drying out the muffins.With all those changes, the muffins turned out okay. Still a bit dry. Not sure that I would make them again. Needed quite a bit of butter to counteract the dryness, which kinda negates the health benefits of eating bran muffins! ;)"
"Bleh. I made these just as written, only with the addition of some raisins (because the bran flakes cereal had raisins in it). The first night they were pretty good and the kids loved the chocolate chips. The next morning they were drier and blander and even chocolate chips couldn't redeem them enough to be eaten. Really not very good. I won't make these again."
"Not sure what happened, I followed the recipe exactly. I didn't like the flavor, and thought there was too much bran cereal. We love bran bread and muffins, so not sure why these didn't have a better flavor. they were not very sweet either, thought they needed a bit more sugar rather than less noted by the last reviewer. Just not a winner for me...."
"I have made this recipe many times. I add 2 teaspoons of vanilla. The combination of chocolate chips and peanut butter set this recipe apart from the usual bran muffins. These are the only bran muffins I make now."
"Very tasty and they froze very well. I cut out 1/4 cup of the sugar, and they still tasted great. Will definitely make again."