I've had recipes for chocolate chip cookies and pecan meringues in my personal collection for a number of years—and I combined them to make these bars! They're a lovely addition to any holiday cookie tray. —Dawn Lowenstein, Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Recommended: Diabetic Dessert Recipes for the Holidays
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Press into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until brown sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until thick and glossy. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Spread over dough in pan.
- Bake on a lower oven rack 25-30 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife, cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip & Pecan Meringue Bars in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p163