Chocolate Chiffon Valentine Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 15 small fresh strawberries, halved
- Fresh mint, optional
- 1. Line two greased 9-in. heart-shaped pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; cool. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Add egg yolks, oil, vanilla and cocoa mixture; stir until smooth. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat for 1 minute. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Gradually fold into chocolate mixture.
- 2. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely; carefully remove waxed paper.
- 3. In a mixing bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Spoon 1-1/2 cups of frosting into a pastry bag with a star tip. Pipe a decorative lattice design on cake top and sides. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 302 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Chiffon Valentine Cake
"Made this for a bridal shower, everyone LOVED it!"