Chocolate Cherry Trifle
With pineapple, cherries and pudding, this creamy dessert from Angela Oelschlaeger of Tonganoxie, Kansas has lots of layers of flavor. It's inexpensive and impressive, and just right to take to a family or church gathering.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups cold fat-free milk
- 2 packages (1.4 ounces each) sugar-free instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Place half of the cake cubes in a 4-qt. trifle or glass bowl. Top with half each of the pudding, pie filling, pineapple and whipped topping. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 221 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Extraordinary Punch Bowl Cake in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.