Chocolate-Cherry Thumbprint Cookies
These look so pretty at Christmas on a tea table with other decorated cookies. They taste as good as they look, and they are eaten quickly wherever and whenever I take them. They're also ideal for Valentine's Day, and every other day of the year! —Stephanie Smith, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake 10 min./batch + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 30 maraschino cherries, patted dry
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and cocoa; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Bake 7-9 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter and cherry juice. Fill each cookie with 1/2 teaspoon filling. Top each with a cherry. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 84 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.