Chocolate-Cherry Thumbprint Cookies
These look so pretty at Christmas on a tea table with other decorated cookies. They taste as good as they look, and they are eaten quickly wherever and whenever I take them. They're also ideal for Valentine's Day, and every other day of the year! —Stephanie Smith, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake 10 min./batch + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 30 maraschino cherries, patted dry
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and cocoa; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Bake 7-9 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter and cherry juice. Fill each cookie with 1/2 teaspoon filling. Top each with a cherry. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 84 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017