Chocolate Cherry Nut Cake
A cake mix and canned frosting make it easy to serve this dessert, even on busy weeknights. It has a hint of almond that complements the cherries and nuts.—LaJune P. Holton, Sterling, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, sour cream, eggs and extract. Stir in pie filling. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Frost with chocolate frosting. Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 338 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Chocolate Cake in Country Woman March/April 2005