I concocted this for a ladies get-together because several of us were watching our weight. I topped each slice of cherry cake with homemade mousse and chocolate covered cherries—sure to delight! —Teresa Gilbreth of Columbia, Missouri
Recommended: Holiday Cheesecake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries with stems
- 1 package (16 ounces) one-step angel food cake mix
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- Drain cherries, reserving juice; set cherries aside. Add enough cold water to cherry juice to measure 1-1/4 cups. In a mixing bowl, beat cake mix and cherry juice mixture on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium for 1 minute. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until dark golden brown and cracks feel very dry. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan.
- In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Pat cherries dry with paper towels. Holding cherries by the stem, dip in chocolate and place on waxed paper. Refrigerate until set. In a bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix until thickened, about 2 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes; whisk for 1 minute or until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Slice cake; serve with mousse and dipped cherries. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate-Cherry Mousse Delight in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p37