Chocolate Cherry Lincoln Log
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + freezing
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 quart cherry ice cream, softened
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in water and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture (batter will be thin).
- Spread evenly into prepared pan. Bake 10-13 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Unroll cake; spread ice cream evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Spread with frosting. Cover and freeze overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 251 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 18, 2014
This cake is lovely and my guests liked it. I got lots of compliments on it. Since cherries are now in season, I pitted and halved about a cup full and added them to the ice cream. Yum. Next time I make this I am going to try some type of mint ice cream with the same chocolate cake recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.