Chocolate Cherry Heart
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 jar (16 ounces) hot fudge ice cream topping
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- Let pastry stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. Unfold pastry and place each circle on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon flour; turn over. Using a 9-in. paper heart pattern, cut out a heart from each circle. Prick pastries all over with a fork.
- Brush with egg white. Combine almonds and sugar; sprinkle over pastries. Bake at 450° for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully slide crusts onto wire racks to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and almond extract; beat until smooth. Add cream; beat until thickened.
- Place one crust on a serving plate; spread with half of the fudge topping. Carefully spread with half of the cream cheese mixture; top with half of the cherry pie filling. Top with remaining crust, fudge topping and cream cheese mixture. Spoon remaining cherry pie filling to within 1 in. of edges. Chill until set. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 754 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 102g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 28, 2009
Great ideas for lightening it up. I was thinking much the same as I read the recipe. Hadn't thought of meringue bases, though.
Feb 11, 2009
Just by reading the ingredients i see where I can lighten it up. By using light creamcheese. light cream, fat free fudge topping andlight cherry pie filling. I might also make 2 meriagne bases and that would even be much lighter. My family and I are really tryinhg to keep it light after all the christmas goodies. I am going to give it a try.KFB in ON, Canada