I make these only at Christmastime for family and a few close friends; my family really looks forward to this special treat! —Melody Daugherty, Long Beach, California
Recommended: Homemade Valentine's Day Candy
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Beat peanut butter, butter and confectioners' sugar until crumbly. Stir in walnuts, coconut, cherries and cherry juice. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of filling into balls. Freeze 10 minutes.
In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off; place on waxed paper. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm.
Freeze option: Freeze candy in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, serve frozen or thaw in refrigerator before serving. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Cherry Candies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p128