- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, pour water over cherries; let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg whites and egg, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the banana, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture. Drain cherries and coarsely chop; fold into batter with pecans.
- Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forChocolate-Cherry Banana Bread
"I made this recipe into 12 muffins and I loved them! Us ed Fage 0% greek yogurt in place of sour cream and walnuts instead of pecans just because that's what I had on hand. Also added a bit of ground flaxseed for extra fiber and Omega 3. Perfect with morning coffee on the weekends."
"Awesome!!!!! So moist!!! I used maraschino cherries. This recipe is a keeper! !!!!"
"I soaked the cherries in apracot brandy oh my god they were great in the banana bread."
"I have to say I made this recipe exacly as was instructed, but I found it came out very dry, even my husband thought so and he has quite the sweet tooth. I will make this recipe again but I think I may experiment a little to see if I can't make it a little more moist this time."
"I've made it twice so far. Loved it. Gave some to my daughters, and they loved it. I actually substituted the dried cherries for dried cranberries (craisins)."
"some members of my family said it was a great bread with coffee, some thought it was too bland, I agree with the ones who said it was a great coffee accompaniment."