Chocolate-Cherry Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, pour water over cherries; let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg whites and egg until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the banana, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with banana mixture. Drain cherries and coarsely chop; fold into batter with pecans.
- Pour into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 164 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 148mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sep 19, 2013
We love this bread. I've made it many times, but since I never have dried cherries I just leave those out and do everything else according to instructions. It always turns out moist with great chocolate flavor.
Nov 13, 2012
Fantastic! Lovin every bite of it. I'm going to try it as muffins next. You can taste the chocolate, cherries and the bananas in every bite. Soooo moist! It will also be incredible with chocolate chips.
Jul 3, 2011
I made this recipe into 12 muffins and I loved them! Us ed Fage 0% greek yogurt in place of sour cream and walnuts instead of pecans just because that's what I had on hand. Also added a bit of ground flaxseed for extra fiber and Omega 3. Perfect with morning coffee on the weekends.
May 27, 2010
Awesome!!!!! So moist!!! I used maraschino cherries. This recipe is a keeper! !!!!
May 20, 2010
Oh so yummy! I doubled the recipe since I had more than one banana ready to go out, and used three eggs versus the egg white combo. Came out beautifully and was gone within 24 hours! This is like chocolate cake in disquise!!
Mar 30, 2010
My running groups loved this bread. I've made it several times. The chocolate, cherries and banana make it a tasty treat.
Mar 9, 2010
I soaked the cherries in apracot brandy oh my god they were great in the banana bread.
Mar 8, 2010
I have to say I made this recipe exacly as was instructed, but I found it came out very dry, even my husband thought so and he has quite the sweet tooth. I will make this recipe again but I think I may experiment a little to see if I can't make it a little more moist this time.
Mar 6, 2010
I've made it twice so far. Loved it. Gave some to my daughters, and they loved it. I actually substituted the dried cherries for dried cranberries (craisins).
Mar 5, 2010
some members of my family said it was a great bread with coffee, some thought it was too bland, I agree with the ones who said it was a great coffee accompaniment.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.