- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1/3 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 square (1 ounce) semisweet chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 1 square (1 ounce) semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- Maraschino cherries and fresh mint, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fold cherries and chocolate into batter. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove to pan.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, chocolate and corn syrup. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in confectioners' sugar and cherry juice until glaze reaches desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake. Garnish with cherries and mint if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Cherry Angel Cake
"The first time I made this cake, I considered it a flop -- I guess I didn't drain the cherries well enough -- it was dense and very moist. But my family loved it! Then our 11 yr old grandson requested it for his birthday cake! This time I made sure I got as much juice as possible out of the cherries, and it was more like an angel food. I prefer it that way, but my family will take it either way . :-)"