Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Remove 1/2 cup sugar mixture to a shallow dish.
- Add butter to remaining sugar mixture; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking cocoa, cream of tartar, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Roll in reserved sugar mixture; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 124 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Jan 14, 2017
It basically tastes like a gingersnap, but with a weird aftertaste because of the chocolate. On the plus side the texture of the cookies were really nice, just soft and buttery enough. Still, I like chai, but these cookies weren't for me.
Dec 12, 2016
One of the best snickerdoodles I've ever had! The chocolate and cardamom push these over the top! They are perfect for the holiday season (my husband said they taste like Christmas) with a very balanced blend of sweet and spicy. The next time I make these, I will sprinkle the excess sugar mixture on top of the flattened cookies so they bake into a bit of added crunch.
Aug 26, 2015
I made this recipe because I want to use my expensive cardamom different ways and not let it just sit around! They were super yummy, but didn't look like the picture. Mine didn't spread like that; they were small and poofy.
May 1, 2015
OMG, I love these cookies! Doesn't hurt that I am a chocoholic and also love cinnamon and cardamom. I did find that it was best to leave them on the pan a couple of minutes before trying to remove them. Also, I had a lot of sugar mixture left at the end, even though I made exactly 36 cookies. Anyone have any ideas of what to do with the leftover mixture?
Aug 4, 2014
Loved these cookies!!!! The cardamom is so great. Just one & you are hooked.
Mar 8, 2014
delicious! Everyone at my work loved these! I changed the recipe a little. I just couldn't pay the $12 for cardamom so I cut open a K-cup of chai latte and added some of that instead.
Sep 16, 2013
These are fabulous! The dough was really sticky so I added 1/4 cup extra flour and refrigerated the dough for an hour or so. I also discovered I was out of ground ginger so I substituted 2 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, ginger and allspice and they are delicious!!
Sep 11, 2013
This is an excellent cookie. I followed the recipe almost exactly but substituted half cinnamon and half nutmeg for the cardamom. Absolutely delicious and will make again.
Sep 9, 2013
Sep 3, 2013
I love the spices, delicious cookie
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.