Chocolate Caramel Pears
Bring out a tray of these fancy fruit treats and watch everybody's eyes widen. The pears wear a nut-dusted caramel coating and an elegant drizzle of chocolate. They make a beautiful gift, wrapped in colored or clear cellophane.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 large firm pears with stems
- 1 cup chopped cashews, hazelnuts or almonds
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1/3 cup vanilla or white chips
- In a heavy saucepan, heat caramels and water over low heat just until caramels are melted. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each pear so it sits flat. Dip pears halfway in caramel; tun to coat and allow excess to drip off. Dip in nuts and place on a greased baking sheet; refrigerate for 30 minutes or until coating is firm.
- In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. In another saucepan, melt vanilla chips with remaining shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle melted chips over pears and stems. Let stand until set.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Hershey caramels.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.