VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-3/4 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup finely crushed candy canes or peppermint candies, divided
- 12-inch round doily or parchment circle
- 3 teaspoons shortening
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup crushed candies.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 1 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Line serving platter with a doily. In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining chocolate chips. Dip bottoms of cookies into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Stack cookies on prepared platter into a ring to form a wreath.
- Drizzle remaining melted chocolate over wreath; sprinkle with remaining candies. Let stand until set, about 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 7 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Candy Cane Meringue Wreath in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p172