- 4 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 6 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients; mix well. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to chocolate mixture. beat on low speed just until moistened. beat on high for 3 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine frosting ingredients. Beat until smooth and creamy. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Cake with Sour Cream
"This cake turns out beautifully and was a great hit with my family. I followed the instructions to the letter. Rich & smooth flavor. Wonderful presentation!"
"I've made this several times for family and friends and they all rave about it and want the recipe. It is now my husbands favorite"
"I've made this cake several times and it is moist and delicious!"