Chocolate Cake with Ice Cream Sauce
"Careful!" writes Lori Trull from Gardena, California. "This cake is so delicious you'll want to eat both of them!" For added eye appeal, garnish this dessert with cinnamon sticks.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Butter bottoms and sides of two 4-in. fluted tube pans or 6-oz. ramekins with 1 teaspoon butter. Dust with baking cocoa; set aside. In a microwave, melt bittersweet chocolate and remaining butter; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and yolk on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture. Combine flour and salt; beat into egg mixture just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine ice cream and cinnamon. Serve with warm cake.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 583 calories, 45g fat (25g saturated fat), 288mg cholesterol, 388mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Warm Chocolate Cake with Cinnamon Anglaise Sauce in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008