- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup hot coffee or water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir; cook 30 seconds longer or until melted.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil and egg. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until combined. Add the chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and chocolate; stir in the coffee until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Spread warm frosting over cake. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Cake with Coffee Frosting
"Wish I had read all the reviews before making this recipe. The icing is awesome but, like many others , we found the cake itself to be a little dry. I love the idea of adding some sour cream to the mix. The only thing I added was a teaspoonful of powdered espresso instant coffee to the cake mixture. Will try it again with some small changes."
"It is delicious and I keep making it for special occasions. But I cannot seem to get the frosting to work correctly..."
"I made these for my childen affer they came in from critter catchin, and oh golly did they much these up!! Something that I added (for a little cick to the snack) is a dollop of buuter... deeelicious!!"
"Love this recipe, have been making it for years. cake is moist, and frosting very flavorful if you use coffee. Making it today for my son's birthday."
"I can't say I tried the whole recipe- I only tried the icing part and made my favorite chocolate cake recipe for it. The icing is a nice change from very sugary icings and is pretty easy. If you do not have cornstarch on hand you can try doubling that amount and using flour instead- it works great. The icing makes the cake seem extra-moist and is so yummy!"
"Very good recipe, very moist. For those of you who said this recipe was dry, try sifting your flour then measure out by spooning into measuring cup and level off with spoon."
"I doubled this recipe for an adult birthday & it was amazing! The cake itself was fantastic -- not too sweet & nicely moist. The icing was delicious (used strong coffee instead of hot water). My sisters asked for the recipe. Definitely becomes a "favourite" in my recipe box."