Chocolate Bread Pudding with Coconut
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 cups cubed day-old bread (about 9 slices)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream and grated chocolate, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and milk until butter is melted; stir in cocoa. Remove from the heat and set aside. Toss bread and 3/4 cup coconut; place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish. Add sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt to milk mixture; mix well. Pour over the bread. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Place baking dish in a 13x9-in. pan in oven; add 1 in. of water to pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold; if desired, garnish with whipped cream and grated chocolate.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 296 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 15, 2017
I halved this recipe. It is easy and delicious. I sprinkled chocolate chips and walnuts in it.
Sep 19, 2016
Delicious! I added toffee bits with the final sprinkle of coconut and chocolate chips after baking. Topped with whipped cream and served warm, a group of teens finished off the dessert and wanted more!
Mar 6, 2011
Good and easy. Great use of leftover bread.
Nov 15, 2010
Made this with leftover challah, it was fantastic!
Nov 30, 2009
I skipped the coconut, as I'm not a fan. I sprinkled some chocolate chips on top once the pudding came out of the oven. It was delicious!