- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 cups cubed day-old bread (about 9 slices)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream and grated chocolate, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and milk until butter is melted; stir in cocoa. Remove from the heat and set aside. Toss bread and 3/4 cup coconut; place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish. Add sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt to milk mixture; mix well. Pour over the bread. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Place baking dish in a 13x9-in. pan in oven; add 1 in. of water to pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold; if desired, garnish with whipped cream and grated chocolate. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Bread Pudding with Coconut
"Made this with leftover challah, it was fantastic!"
"I skipped the coconut, as I'm not a fan. I sprinkled some chocolate chips on top once the pudding came out of the oven. It was delicious!"