- 2 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
- Confectioners' sugar or whipped cream, optional
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in cream until smooth; set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg. Add sugar, milk, vanilla and salt; mix well. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Spoon into two greased 2-cup souffle dishes. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar or top with a dollop of whipped cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Bread Pudding
"I absolutely love this recipe, super simple and super yum!"
"This is so good and easy to prepare. Great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream."