Chocolate Bran Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or raisins
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses. Combine the dry ingredients. Combine eggs and buttermilk; add to creamed mixture alternately with dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 282 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 11, 2011
these muffins are good, but not exceptional. I substituted oil for the butter and only used 1/2 the amount of sugar to make them healthy, otherwise they are definately NOT healthy. Next time I'd substitute whole wheat flour for 1/2 the white flour too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.