Total TimePrep: 30 min. + drying
Makes1 chocolate bow for a 9-in. round or springform cake
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vanilla or white chips, divided
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1/2 large marshmallow
- Cut three 6-in. squares from freezer paper. Cut each square into six 1-in. strips. Set aside four strips. Place remaining strips shiny side up on a waxed paper-lined work surface.
- In a microwave, melt 1 cup vanilla chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Working quickly with a few strips at a time, spread chocolate beyond three sides of the strips onto the waxed paper, leaving 1/2 in. at one short end.
- Immediately peel each strip from work surface; place on clean waxed paper. Let strips dry just until barely set but still pliable, about 1 minute. (If chocolate strips become to stiff, warm in the microwave for a few seconds.)
- With paper side out, press ends of chocolate strips together. Stand strips on edges on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Chill until set, about 10 minutes. Carefully remove freezer paper.
- For ribbons, coat four reserved strips with chocolate; peel strips from work surface. On an inverted 9-in. x 1-1/2-in. round baking pan, place strips, chocolate side down at 90-degree angles to each other and drape 1-1/4 in. over side of pan. (If necessary, use a drop of chocolate under the bottom edge to hold in place. With a toothpick, press the strip onto the dab of chocolate.) Chill until set; remove freezer paper.
- Melt remaining chips in the microwave. Fill a plastic bag with melted chocolate; cut a small hole in the corner. Place marshmallow half, cut side down, in the center of a piece of waxed paper. Secure six chocolate loops around edge of marshmallow with melted chocolate; press ends down. Layer five more loops on top with ends touching. Secure with chocolate. Coat top of marshmallow with remaining chocolate; place remaining loops in center, pressing down. Let dry for 1 hour or overnight. Carefully peel waxed paper from bow. Place ribbons and bow on top of cake.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 8, 2011
I have made this bow and the cake many, many times. I always get excellent compliments when I make it. I make it every year at Christmas for past 5 years.
Jan 28, 2011