- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips; set aside.
- 2. For batter, in a large bowl, combine the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Combine remaining ingredients; add to the liquid mixture and mix well (batter will be thin).
- 3. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of batter into greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups. Top with about 1 teaspoon of filling.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake portion comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
2 each: 114 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Nov 13, 2016
My mini-muffin pans are a bit larger than the "norm" so with that said ... I only got 35, which was perfectly fine even with the leftover filling. They did not look like the picture either because after raising while cooking the filling ended up looking like they were frosted -- I used mini-chips in the filling and sprinkled some small multi-colored sprinkles on filling before baking. Omitted salt in filling and about 1/4 teaspoon in batter -- baked for 15 minutes. Took them to Church and they were very well received ... I will definitely make again & will probably add a bit more chocolate to the batter!
Apr 16, 2016
We thought these were pretty good, but not "oh my goodness" delicious. There was something slightly off about the taste. Maybe too much salt? I read a general rule for cakes is 1/4tsp per cup of flower. It's also possible that my baking cocoa or baking soda weren't fresh enough. Next time I make these, I will lower the salt (to about 1/2tsp), and make sure I have fresh baking cocoa and baking soda, then update my review. Also of note, I made these in a regular sized cupcake pan (it made about 22). I filled the cups halfway with the batter and did just a tad less than a tbsp of cheesecake mixture in each. I had a little of the cheesecake mix left, so I put that in one of the empty cupcake liners. Haven't tried it yet but it looks good!
Feb 12, 2016
Delicious! I made these for Valentine's Day Weekend. Here's what I did:
- Added 1/2 tsp. vanilla (I always add extra vanilla to recipes)
- Used standard vegetable oil instead of canola (the kind I used had canola oil in it)
- Let cream cheese sit on counter for 1 1/2 hours (to soften)
- Used paper liners (works great!)
- Let them sit in hot pan for 10 minutes before removing (as recipe suggested)
- Used mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (Nestle)
- Baked @ 350 degrees for 18 minutes (perfect time; we do have propane which makes for a hotter heating source)
- Put batter & filling in fridge between batches
*It's important to not over-mix, so I've been told on recipes like this
* Recipe made 69 mini cupcakes for me (just under 6 dozen)
They are so addicting & delicious. Definitely worth a try!
Jan 1, 2015
These are excellent. I've now made two batches and got rave reviews from the tasters so far. I got 48 minis from the batter. I will most definitely make these again.
Dec 31, 1969
Black bottom cupcakes!!!!! Delicious, have been making these for years.
Dec 31, 1969
I have been making these for over 30 years. They are wonderful and always a huge hit. I have never had them fail me. I make them in a regular size cupcake and always a double batch!
Dec 31, 1969
I teach childbirth classes, and the last class of every series is a reunion where former students can share their birth stories and show off their babies to current students. These were a huge hit with everyone at class last week. One dad-to-be kept passing the tray around and exclaiming how good they were. My family love them as well. Definitely a keeper!
Mar 8, 2012
Very nice cupcakes. I made a cream cheese frosting to put on top, makes them look a lot better.
Mar 6, 2012
Been making these for years.... add miniature choc chips to the cream cheese center. People always ask where you bought them!
Mar 6, 2012
I have been making this exact same recipe for over 40 years. It is always a favorite. I use mini chocolate chips when I bake mini cupcakes and regular size for regular ones. To really fancy these up, sprinkle with a little granulated sugar and slivered almonds before baking. We have always called these Black Bottom Cupcakes. Also with no egg in the chocolate batter the cholesterol in this recipe in very low.