This special dessert is a family tradition for Christmas dinner at our house. It's not too rich after a big meal, and it can be made ahead to give you time for other last-minute preparations. I've always loved trying new recipes, desserts especially.
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Nutella
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dates or figs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped raisins or nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- Spoon ice cream into the bottom and up the sides of a 1-1/2-qt. casserole bowl; freeze until firm, about 1-2 hours. Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and water over low heat, stirring until blended. Add sugar and salt; simmer 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Lightly beat egg yolks in a mixing bowl; gradually pour hot mixture over yolks and blend well. Cool. Add extracts and mix well. In a small mixing bowl, whip cream until stiff; fold into chocolate mixture along with dates and figs and raisins and nuts. Spoon into middle of ice cream. Cover and return to freezer; freeze overnight (keep up to 3-4 days). Just before serving, unmold onto serving plate. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Bombe in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p48