Chocolate Bliss Marble Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Dissolve cocoa in water; let stand until cool.
- In a large bowl, beat 3/4 cup sugar, milk, oil and extracts until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Remove 2 cups batter; stir in reserved cocoa mixture.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray. Alternately spoon the plain and chocolate batters into pan. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For topping, in a microwave, melt whipped topping and chocolate; stir until smooth.
- Place cake on a serving plate. Drizzle with topping. Arrange raspberries in center of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 215 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 17, 2018
It’s Pretty and tastes pretty good but the texture is fudgy like a brownie NOT a cake. Drizzled melted dark chocolate chips on top instead of the icing. I’m very picky about the texture of my cakes will not be making this again.
Jan 1, 2015
cake was very dense and not sweet enough. Icing was a disaster but my fault since I didn't follow the directions:)
Dec 27, 2014
Have not made yet. I've read all 18 reviews and this is my take. I love cake and need to watch my fat intake. When I get a chance I will try this, paying close attention to the egg whites and use applesauce for the oil. In this house I'm the only one who likes frosting so I'll leave that off . If it seems too thick before adding the whites I'll add more milk, one tablespoon at a time. And Grandma832, if you see this I hope you give it a try adding in my suggestions. Sometimes, like a child, it takes a village.
May 13, 2013
The only thing worse than this cake recipe is the recipe for the icing. The cake was not sweet enough and the texture so dense it tasted like a stale terd. This cake may be better used as a pretty decoration..just make sure you don't allow your guests to eat it.
Aug 20, 2011
Very moist ..... great taste!
Dec 18, 2010
I read the reviews and saw the ups and downs. So, I made sure the egg whites were at room temp, and everything was exactly like the recipie. It looked too small in the pan, but when it tested done, I took it out. Way too packed.......but I did the frosting anyway. But, then I took a step back, looked at it and couldn't make myself serve it at a dinner. It's deep 6 in the bottom of my trash can!
Dec 17, 2010
It was very tasty, however it was a litle heavy. But my husband loved it and since we are both watching our sugar and weight I was more than satisfied with it. I didn't top with the chocolate since with only the two of us and we limit ourselves to one piece a day I felt it might get sticky. I just added low fat whipped topping as we ate each piece.
Dec 17, 2010
I didn't have any whipped topping so I just used whipping cream. The cake turned out very nice. Also, it wasn't too sweet.
Dec 17, 2010
Wow, I'm not sure what the negative reviews are about--This cake was devoured by my whole family. I didn't have the Cool Whip so I just used powdered sugar, still very, very good.
Dec 14, 2010
This was easy to make - I just wish I had some fresh raspberries (carefully thawed some frozen ones).
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.