I created this recipe by accident when I wanted to make Rice Krispie bars with dried fruit. All I had in my cupboard were dried cranberries and chocolate chips, so I tossed them in.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 5-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal, chocolate chips, cranberries and wheat germ; set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the marshmallows, oil and milk. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds; stir. Microwave 30-45 seconds longer or until marshmallows are puffed and melted; stir until smooth.
- Pour over cereal mixture; stir until chips are melted. Spread into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Cut into bars.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested in a 900-watt microwave.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 126 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate-Berry Bars in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.